Treat with Chiropractic Care – NSAIDs Linked with Cancer
According to the Journal of American Medical Association, 2011, long-term NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen) increased risk of kidney cancer almost 300%! Researchers followed 120,000 adults for 16 years, the patients who took these medications for longer periods, 10 or more years, had the highest risk of of renal cancer.
Dr. Galante is Committed to Helping You!
We are sharing this information with you to keep you informed, improve your health and well-being and help you understand critical health care information and how it impacts your health and your wallet. So what are the implications?
Most people are aware of the long term side effects of NSAID’s, including GI bleeding, liver and kidney damage, increase risk of heart attack and stroke and slower wound healing. And now cancer!
Now, do not stop any of your prescribed medications, only your prescribing doctor can do that. As a general rule, over the counter medications should not be taken for more than 7-10 days without consulting your doctor.
Why do people take NSAID’s? For pain! Most commonly arthritic pain.
In order to take less NSAID medication your pain levels have to come down.
Here are a few ways we do it:
1. Chiropractic Care – spinal distraction gently and safely mobilizes spinal vertebrae. This decreases the pressure on nerves and discs and relaxes tight muscles.
2. Modalities – modalities like interferential current help to decrease pain, swelling and spasms.
3. Massage – massage breaks up muscle spasms and adhesions, increases range of motion and reduces stress.
4. Kineseotaping – I am sure you have seen this colorful tape, it helps to decrease inflammation and promote proper muscle contraction.
5. Topical Analgesics – topical analgesics (ie Cryoderm, Biofreeze) stimulate nerve fibers in the skin which blocks pain signals.
A question I get is, “How long does the relief last?”
The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine looked at patients one year after they were treated by a chiropractor and by a physical therapist. Patients receiving chiropractic care had “significantly lower pain scores” after one year than subjects receiving physical therapy.
Research shows Chiropractic offers longer term relief compared to other forms of therapy. Longer relief may translate to less medication.
Remember health is a journey and not a destination. What you do in the practice of health care will go miles and pay dividends over time.
If you still feel that you are struggling in creating a healthy living plan or are looking for chiropractic services in Algonquin, you will be thrilled to know that Dr. Galante has powerful programs that will teach you the specific steps that will help you to become and stay healthier.
Call for your consultation 847-854-2000.
Mention this article and receive $25 off your initial visit.
Our Mission – To educate and inform patients so you can make educated decisions to improve your health.
Algonquin Chiropractic Center
2210 Huntington Drive North
Algonquin, IL 60102