Did You Know…
Each year over 45 million Americans suffer chronic headaches. Pediatric headaches increased from 14% to 50% from 1972 to 1991. Headache sufferers spend over $2 billion on over-the-counter medications. Statistics shows 48% of women and 38% of men have tension headaches. Tension headaches are usually chronic and much more common than migraines, but usually not as severe.
Algonquin Chiropractic Center is Committed to Keeping You Informed!
We are sharing this information with you to keep you informed, improve your health and well-being and help you understand critical health care information and how it impacts your health and your wallet. So what are the implications?
Tension headaches are characterized by a dull, aching, tightness at the base of the head that can radiate up the back of the head to the forehead.
The headaches are worse with stress and usually worse at the end of the day.
Poor posture, sitting, computer work and looking up can all cause or exacerbate a headache.
Over-the-counter medications (ibuprofen/naproxan) are commonly used for headaches but taking these as little as 3 times per week has been shown to cause “rebound headaches” (headaches due to the medication), as well as a host of other side effects. So what can you do?
1. Avoid Stress – Manage stress may be a better term as it is very difficult to avoid stress.
2. Eat frequent small meals to balance blood sugar, have a regular sleep schedule and exercise regularly.
3. Avoid prolonged periods of sitting – if you are stuck at the computer develop a short 1-2 minute routine to periodically stretch your neck and shoulders.
4. Posture – Improving your posture with a proven stretching and strengthening program will decrease stress on your neck and shoulders.
5. Chiropractic treatment is an excellent treatment for tension headaches which can be complimented by massage, rehab, nutrition and diet.
Remember health is a journey and not a destination. What you do in the practice of health care will go miles and pay dividends over time.
If you still feel that you are struggling in creating a healthy living plan, you will be thrilled to know that Algonquin Chiropractic Center has powerful programs that will teach you the specific steps that will help you to become and stay healthier.
Call for your consultation 847-854-2000.
Mention this article and receive $25 off your initial visit.
Our Mission – To educate and inform patients so you can make educated decisions to improve your health.
By Anthony Galante