Avoid Holiday Injuries – Tips from an Algonquin Chiropractor
It is that time of year again. Everyone is full of holiday cheer and getting out their lights to decorate their homes. According to statistics over 86% of Americans annually decorate their home and 50% of them hang lights outside their home. Climbing ladders to decorate the highest ledge can get very dangerous and it is important to take precaution.
It has been stated that in the most frequently reported holiday season’s emergency calls; 34% were from falls, 11% came in with lacerations and 10% were due to back strains. If you’re already having back pain visit an Algonquin chiropractor before you attempt any strenuous decorating. Don’t be one of the roughly 50,000 Americans that are estimated to take a trip to the emergency room this winter.
Here are 5 precautions you can take to lower the risk of injury while decking the halls this season:
1. Stretch before and after any strenuous activity to avoid pulling or straining muscles especially if you will be spending time in the cold weather.
2. Wear thick gloves to keep warm and avoid any contact you may have with sharp objects.
3. Use a harness to avoid falls when decorating out-doors as extra protection for those really high areas. Do not rely only on ladders.
4. Keep the concrete salted to avoid slipping when stepping down. Not all hard falls are from high up.
5. Use step stools when decorating in-doors. Do not skip a step and use the furniture.
As you can see all of these accidents can be avoided but they are called “accidents” for a reason. Remember to keep calm and move at a slow pace. If at any time you notice back pain call an Algonquin chiropractor and set up an appointment to get it checked out.
To view a full size, high-quality image of infographic, visit https://www.pinterest.com/pin/530721137317842913/https://www.pinterest.com/pin/530721137317842913/
Algonquin Chiropractic Center
2210 Huntington Drive North
Algonquin, Il 60102